Tamagoyaki - Japanese omelette
What is tamagoyaki?
Tamagoyaki is a Japanese rolled omelette which has a sweet - but still spicy - taste. In Japan, it is a popular food for both adults and children for breakfast and as a side dish for lunch. The dish is a staple of Japanese cooking, and it is so popular that many Japanese homes invest in the special tamagoyaki pan for the sole purpose of being able to make the delicious, square delights.
- 3 large eggs
- Neutral oil
- 3 tablespoons dashi (Japanese soup stock)
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tsp mirin
- A pinch of salt
Can be added depending on taste and type of dish.
- Soy sauce
- Caviar, spring onions and the like
Course of action
- Crack the eggs onto the pan or into a bowl and beat them together lightly.
- In another bowl, combine all the ingredients for the seasoning.
- Mix the contents of the two bowls and whisk together lightly.
- Heat the pan over medium heat and spread a little oil on it.
- When the pan is hot, add a thin layer of the egg mixture.
- When the egg has set at the bottom, but is still soft on top, roll up the mass and place at the bottom of the pan.
- Then put a little oil on the pan again and add the egg mixture once more. Lift the rolled egg and add the mass below as well.
- When the new layer of egg mass has set, but is still soft on top, the mass is rolled up again. Here, it is easiest to start rolling where the first 'roll' of eggs lies.
- Repeat the process with a new layer of oil and a new layer of egg, so that a total of 5-6 rolls are made.
- Remove the roll from the pan and slice the omelette.
- Serve with your favorite topping.
We love when service helps to complete any dish and set the mood for the meal. At Seramikku, you can put together your own unique collection of Japanese ceramics, which you can use for serving your favorite dishes.
All ceramics are handpicked from Japan and come in limited quantities. Regardless of whether you prefer the ceramics to be the same - or are more into mixing different items - the selection consists of unique styles. We like the idea that you get something very special to put on your shelves at home.